April 17, 2019
CBC News shared the announcement of 7 organizations serving women in Waterloo region who will receive $1.3M in funding, including the YW Kitchener-Waterloo. The full article can be found below.
The federal government has announced it will give over $1.3 million to seven organizations that serve women in Waterloo region.
Raj Saini, MP for Kitchener-Centre, along with Waterloo MP Bardish Chagger, and MP for Kitchener South-Hespeler, Marwan Tabbara, made the announcement Wednesday afternoon at the Sexual Assault Support Centre.
“The funding will strengthen the capacity of organizations in our Region that already work tirelessly to address gender equality in society,” Saini said in a release.
- Coalition of Muslim Women of KW will receive: $244,750.
- Focus for Ethnic Women, Waterloo Region will receive: $198,232.
- YW Kitchener-Waterloo will receive: $200,000.
- Nova Vita Women’s Shelter will receive: $197,729.
- Sexual Assault Support Centre of Waterloo Region will receive: $250,000.
- Sexual Health Options, Resources & Education Centre will receive: $179,809.
- YWCA Cambridge will receive: $95,750.
“Over the next five years, we’re delighted to announce that this $250,000 grant will support us in creating a staff position focused on gift development and community engagement,” said Sara Casselman, executive director of the Sexual Assault Support Centre of Waterloo Region.